On Saturday 20th October at 2.30pm fans of Julia Donaldson will get another chance to meet her as she celebrates the release of not one, not two, but THREE new books – a delightful alphabet of animals: Animalphabet, a new story with the fabulous illustrator Lydia Monks: The Girl, the Bear and the Magic Shoes, and a beautiful new illustrated hardback edition of Julia’s play about the second World War: Bombs and Blackberries. The book-signing is an amazing chance to buy one of these wonderful new books in first-edition hardback, and get it personally signed and dedicated by Julia.
In order to make the signing an enjoyable experience for everyone
- Entry will be strictly by prior booking only, and limited to under 100 families.
- You can book your place by calling the shop on 01903 812062 and purchasing any of Julia’s new books (or her older titles!)
- Your pre-order allows entry of 1 family group (1/2 adults and up to 4 children).
- You may purchase additional books on the day – all Julia’s books will be available for purchase and signing.
- There is no way to host a Julia D signing without some queuing, but we will attempt to reduce the queue time by staggering the entry times: 2.30 pm for the first 30 families to book, 3.30 pm for the next, and 4.30 for the final group. You will be advised of your recommended signing time when you book.
- The signing will take place inside the shop /the back room of the shop, there will be refreshments and activities for children, but space is fairly limited.
- Please do not bring ‘books from home’ or books purchased elsewhere for signing.
- If you are unable to attend the signing but would like to order and pay for a book to be signed/dedicated by Julia, to pick up in person later, please call in/ phone the shop and we will be happy to arrange this for you.
- Don’t forget – for those who live further away – you can get a signed Julia Donaldson book anytime from our website store!
JULIA’S NEW BOOKS
Animalphabet is Julia’s delightful alphabet of animals with stunning illustrations by Sharon King-Chai.
Julia’s cleverly written, rhythmic text invites children to compare one animal to another, and ingenious hints and peep-through holes within the artwork make the book a hugely entertaining guessing game as well! Each intricately cut page draws you further into a beautifully vibrant world of huge elephants, slithery snakes and growling tigers, and the book will make a gorgeous gift. £14.99 in hardback.
The Girl, the Bear and the Magic Shoes is an exciting new story illustrated with glittery magic by Lydia Monks. When Josephine leaves the shoe shop after buying some new running shoes, she hears an unusual sound – Click-click! Click-click! A bear with a backpack is following her! Luckily for Josephine, her new shoes are anything but ordinary – these are magic shoes. But can they help her escape the bear when there’s a mountain, a bog and even a lake in her way? £12.99 in hardback.
Bombs and Blackberries is a dramatic and touching play which brings Manchester during the Second World War and its people to life.
World War Two has been declared and the Chivers children are sent to the safety of the countryside. They are delighted to be brought back home when it looks like the Germans aren’t going to invade after all. But the air-raid siren goes off and this time it’s frighteningly real. It is perfect for class reading as well as performance, also includes helpful tips on staging and costume. Beautifully illustrated by Thomas Docherty. £12.99 in hardback.