A fun weekday morning session for pre-schoolers with popular author / illustrator Sam Lloyd, on Tuesday 24th March at 11.30am.
Sam’s event will be based around her new picture book Put Your Botty on the Potty, a brilliant, funny and fresh take on the potty training book! There will be stories, singing, colouring and sticking, and children will be able to create their own ‘Moo Monster’…and put him on the potty!
Sam Lloyd is hugely talented at creating laugh-out-loud funny books for children. Her titles include the Whoops-A-Daisy-World series and Mr Pusskins, which was the winner of the Roald Dahl Funny Prize, and the Booktrust Early Years Award for Best Pre-School Book. Sam’s novelty books include Calm Down, Boris, Hello Dudley, What’s In Your Tummy Mummy, Grumpy
Gertie and Farty Fred.
On Saturday 14th March at 11 am, we have a lovely event for younger children with up-and-coming illustrator Alice McKinley. Alice will read her book ‘Nine Lives Newton’ and lead a fun draw-along session.
Alice’s charmingly funny picture book debut ‘Nine Lives Newton’ is released by Simon & Schuster Children’s books in March.
Featuring wonderfully exuberant illustrations, the book tells the story of Newton, the dog who thinks he has nine lives and infinite luck. And if Newton has nine lives, then that means he can do all his favourite things but be MUCH more daring….but what if Newton’s got it all wrong and he’s not quite as invincible as he thinks he is?
Tickets are just £3 for children (accompanying adults are free) and the ticket price is redeemable against purchase of ‘Nine Lives Newton’.
Age guide 4-9 years.
We are so pleased to welcome the wonderful writer/illustrator Sophy Henn to our bookshop garden tent for a fun kids event!
Sophy will get busy with stories plus drawing, cutting, sticking and making activities based around her lovely picture book Super Duper You, a gorgeous rhyming picture book which celebrates the difference and uniqueness of what makes you YOU!
This event is perfect for children aged 4-8. All materials will be provided, free refreshments will be served, and the £4 ticket price is redeemable against a purchase of one of Sophy’s books.
Sophy Henn is a Sussex-based writer/illustrator who is a real rising star! Where Bear?, her first picture book, was shortlisted for the Waterstones Children’s Book Prize in 2015, and she was selected as the official World Book Day Illustrator for 2015 and 2016. Her jolly, bright and charming picture books which include Pass it On, Edie and Almost Anything have earned her widespread acclaim, and now she has branched out into chapter books with her hilarious Bad Nana series!
Wednesday 14th August starting at 10.30am.
ENTRY BY PRE-BOOKING ONLY! Call the bookshop on 01903 812062 to reserve your place.
On Saturday July 21st at 2.30pm Julia Donaldson will join us to celebrate her joyous new picture book ‘The Cook and the King’.
Just out in hardback at £11.99, this hilarious story tells the tale of a very fussy king and his search for a cook who can make just the right dish. With Julia’s signature rollicking, rhyming text and richly detailed illustrations by David Roberts (Tyrannosaurus Drip, The Troll) this is sure to become a firm family favourite!
How does the book signing work?
- Entry will be strictly by prior booking only, and limited to under 100 families.
- You can book your place by calling the shop on 01903 812062 and pre-ordering at least 1 copy of ‘The Cook and the King’ (or other Julia D title). Your pre-order allows entry of 1 family group (1/2 adults and up to 4 children).
- You may purchase additional books on the day – all Julia’s books will be available for purchase and signing.
- There is no way to host a Julia D signing without some queuing, but we will attempt to reduce the queue time by staggering the entry times: 2.30 pm for the first 30 families to book, 3.30 pm for the next, and 4.30 for the final group. You will be advised of your recommended signing time when you book.
- The signing will take place in the bookshop garden. There will be refreshments and activities for children, and as much shade and seating as we can muster.
- Please do not bring ‘books from home’ for signing.
- If you are unable to attend the signing but would like to order and pay for a book to be signed/dedicated by Julia, to pick up in person later, please call in/ phone the shop and we will be happy to arrange this for you.
- Don’t forget – you can get a signed Julia Donaldson book anytime from our website store!
On Tuesday 11th April at 2.30 come and meet author and actress Susan Jameson for pony stories and horsey fun!
Susan is very well known as an actress, and has starred in many popular TV programmes, including the BBC crime drama ‘New Tricks’, ‘Midsommer Murders’, ‘Coronation Street’ and ‘When the Boat Comes In’. She is more familiar to younger viewers for her role as Great Aunt Loretta in the children’s BBC TV show ‘Grandpa In My Pocket’. She has also dabbled in screen writing, including writing three episodes for the famed children’s series The Hoobs.
Now Susan has written her first novel for children, ‘Pony Tails’, the story of 4 amazing ponies; A Connemara, a Shetland, a Welsh Cob, and an Exmoor, and the people whose lives they changed. The book is loosely based on ponies that Susan and her husband, the actor James Bolam, have rescued over the years. ‘Pony Tails’ is published by Forelock Books, a new publisher dedicated to publishing equestrian titles.
Susan will share her pony stories, and talk to children about animals, acting and writing.
Suitable for ages 8-11 years.
Free refreshments will be served, ticket price gives the bearer £3 off a Forelocks Books pony book.